What is a study abroad provider and how is it different from an exchange program?

There are a variety of program models now that offer fantastic study and intern abroad opportunities to meet different interests and needs so it is important that you understand the differences so that you can be successful. Exchange programs are typically a school-to-school agreement where students can enroll in a school abroad and transfer credits back to their home university. Often there is no change in tuition price and extra support once you arrive may be limited, so this is a good option if you are seeking a more independent experience. Study abroad providers also work with home universities and connect students to overseas universities but also include added-support before, during, and after your experience abroad, adding value to your experience. With a provider like CIS Abroad:
  • You are supported through the application and visa (if needed) and pre-departure process by staff here in the US.
  • You can meet staff and other students who will be on the program virtually before you go.
  • You are picked up at the airport.
  • You don't have to find your own housing/get to choose your housing ahead of time.
  • Almost everything is included in the price, like housing, excursions, medical and accident insurance.
  • There is a dedicated 24/7 emergency line and on-site staff available to support you
It is important to note that using a study abroad program ensures that you won't be going through the process alone, whereas exchanges and direct enrolls don't guarantee that same support system.